Friday 30 December 2011

Was it all worth it?

About a week ago I ran my first marathon. It was a quiet and frosty morning. The start and finish line were my driveway and I was the only competitor, which meant that I won the event (and lost technically having placed first and last).

Like so many interests I have picked up over the years, my goals on running have changed more times that I care to recall, but the one that has remained constant was to run that distance.

26.2. Just a number right? But for novice runners this number has a hold over us in the same way as the height of Everest does for mountaineers or speed does for racing drivers.

The run itself was uneventful. Camelbak, Garmin, iPod and a handful of SiS Smart1 gels (berry and caffeine) and the whole thing went without a hitch. Under 4 hours for my first attempt was a very pleasant surprise and slightly faster tan I would have paced myself, but when it feels good, it feels good. What can I say.

People who I have told can't seem to understand the desire to run this distance and this made me reflect on whether or not it was worth the early start, the discomfort of running in the freezing cold and the aches afterwards.

I assure you that it was.

For those thinking about running a marathon soon or in the future, there is something a little bit magical about going the distance. I learnt a lot about myself as a runner during the four hours I was on the road. Like how often I need gels and how much water I get through. Where the aches come in and equally strangely, when they disappear. My knee ached at 7 miles and was feeling great again by 15. I took a gel every three miles after the first 10).

I realised that I am capable of accomplishing great things with determination and preparation. I have scoffed at the 10% rule in the past and I am sure that some can do without it. But for me, it got me to 22 miles, injury free and prepared for that last push to 26.2.

It made me realise that for me it is about going the distance alone and accomplishing something personal. Something which only a year ago I never thought I would manage. So was it worth the training, the preparation and the effort? Hell yes it was.

 I always expected to run 26.2 and then collapse in a heap, exhausted. Overjoyed but drained of all energy. I was surprised and happy to find that I had loads left in me. I'm not saying I could have done it all again, but I could have run further. I ached, sure, and needed a few days recovery. But I was far from spent.

2012 is to be my year of ultras with my first ultramarathon planned for May. Whereas before it loomed on the horizon like an approaching storm ready to test me and try to break me. It now seems like a challenge to prepare for. Finishing it will be a huge challenge but I now believe I can.

Looking back at 12 months of recording my running in a blog, I've accomplished more than I would have imagined. Not just the distance and the experience or the results and the medals. But a sense of achievement and personal pride which other interests have never given me.

I was asked once why I run and I did not know the answer.

If I was asked now I'd reply "Why wouldn't I?"

3 comments:

  1. Inspiring blog. It makes me believe that I to can run that distance in the future. I hope you achieve all your ultra goals in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Dan - that's such an inspiring post. Thanks for sharing and good luck for the ultra training, I'll be following with interest.

    Mike (@mikew30)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I'm looking to my first ultra in 2012. Distance is addictive!

    ReplyDelete